Before and after surgery
- The medical staff will help you prepare, advise you and answer your questions. He will explain the process and inform you about it.
- It is very likely that you will not be able to understand all the information that you will receive from the first time. It might help to write down what questions you have so you remember what you want to ask.
At the hospital
- You will stay in hospital usually between 3 and 10 days.
- When you wake up from surgery, you will be connected to various tubes and may feel weak and uncomfortable. This is to be expected after any surgery.
- All tubes and drains will be gradually removed over the next few days, you will feel stronger and start eating and drinking as directed by your doctor.
- Your stoma will become active within a few days. They will encourage you to help with her care as soon as possible.At first the orifice will be swollen and with stitches and the bag used at this stage will be rather transparent. The swelling will slowly begin to go down and the stitches will be absorbed or removed.The orifice will gradually become smaller as it swells.
For as long as you stay in the hospital, specialized staff will inform you about how to change the bag, how to measure the opening so that the adhesive material of the bag has the correct opening, and in general how to take care of your stoma.They will also inform you about the different types of bags available.
- When you leave the hospital you will be given instructions on how to care for your stoma at home.
- Your doctor will give you the necessary prescription/opinion with the materials you will need.You will need to contact us to send you the materials prescribed by your doctor and to help you with the checkout process.
- Just call us toll free on 800 500 5150.
When you return home
- Everyone is different. It usually takes 6-8 weeks after surgery to return to your daily activities and 3 months to fully recover.It takes about 3 months for the abdominal muscles to fully heal, so you shouldn’t be lifting weights during this time.
- Always follow your doctor’s instructions and advice.
- Adjusting to using the bag takes some time – everyone is different.
Remember that you are not alone
- Geniki Chemicals, with a network of 105 visitors, covers every part of Greece so that you have immediate service whenever and wherever you need it.Whether you need materials or advice on how to best use them, an experienced associate will be near you to serve you.
- Communication with the company and our representatives does not stop after you leave the hospital.If for any reason you need our help, an experienced associate will visit you at your place.
- Because each person’s stoma needs a different treatment, we will be happy to inform you on a personal level about the best way to use the products and give you advice and care instructions that will improve your everyday life.